Wednesday, March 4, 2015

And Pretty was Her Name-O

There was a gal who had some yarn, and Pretty was her name-o!
P-R-E-TT-Y, P-R-E-TT-Y, P-R-E-TT-Y, and Pretty was her name-o!...

Yes, she had some yarn...she had a LOT of yarn!...but apparently not enough, because she is suddenly making her own! Actually, I just got a new spindle, my first Turkish spindle, and it is very cool for a couple of reasons...
  1. It was made on a 3D printer! What?!? I know!!! So, now I can make yarn, like yarnigans have been doing since the beginning of yarn-time, but my tools are very much of the 21st Century variety! So. Very. Cool.
  2. It's a Turkish spindle, which means that the yarn (singles and/or plied yarn) comes off the spindle in a ready-made, center-pull ball! It's ready-to-eat yarn (in a sense), and I can 2-ply from both ends of the ball right away, or I can knit from a center-pull ball right away!
  3. I get to pick my colors! After all, Turtle Made just puts the right color cartridge in, orders up the parts, and bam! Custom-made for Pretty!!! My first one has a turquoise shaft, and pink and purple arms...when it spins, it looks like this:

I've seen a lot of that lately! I'm currently spinning this sky-blue merino pretty fine, hoping for a 2-ply, fingering weight yarn...and after the first 2 ounces, 

I am pretty sure that's what I'll get! Of course, with 2 ounces on the spindle, which already weighs about an ounce, my thin singles are coming apart more than I'd like under the weight, so I will soon take this center-pull, "turtle" (which is one name for the center-pull ball created by a Turkish spindle) off my spindle and start on the other half of the braid. I am actually really looking forward to that! 

(Psst! You know what else? I ordered another spindle just the other day...gah! I love these 3D printed spindles!!!)

In Knitting Knews, I'm still working on some ziggety socks,

and I've cast on a bunny!

After all, it's nearly Easter! This year, I WILL KNIT A BUNNY!!! (Or two...or 25...you know...)

Are you knitting a bunny this year? Whether your answer is yes or no, thanks for stopping by, and...

Knit in Good Health!

2 comments:

  1. I am SO impressed with the spinning! Can't wait to see what you create with the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the socks! And boggling over the 3-d printed spindle. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete