Saturday, December 13, 2014

Christmas, Knitting, Parties and Myths

"We hold these truths to be self-evident" is a phrase from the Declaration of Independence. It does not apply to old wives' tales, rude assumptions, or silly myths...especially when it comes to knitters. For instance, here are just a few that I've heard time and again...

"You can pick your friends, and you can pick your teeth,* but you can't pick your friends' teeth!"
Well, that one might be true, and self-evident...but at this year's CKW Knitters' Christmas Party, I learned that you CAN shame your friend into picking her own teeth. Especially if you can't hear what she is saying while that spinach (or parsley, or meat, or whatever) is screaming at you from alongside her canines. (By the way, I did get it...but it took some doing.)

"Only grandmas like to knit."
That one is most decidedly UNTRUE! I mean, sure...I am a grandma (and I love this part of my life), but knitters are also moms and students, teachers and lawyers, scientists and nurses, and so much more!

"If you want to learn to knit, you should start with a scarf and some scratchy wool."
To this, I answer, "Why?" I mean, if you want to knit a scarf with scratchy wool, then start with a scarf! But what if you want to knit a blanket (or a snowman) with economy acrylic? 

Or socks, with a soft, wool/nylon blend and tiny stitches? 

Why can't you start with socks? I did!

"Hot chocolate is a beverage for children."
Yeah? Not if there's a bottle of Hennessy in the picture... 

But look how happy it made these knitters. 

(Disclaimer: I don't know if that's really the cocoa...but they sure are having a good time...!)

"Too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth."
Yeah? Whatever. I really don't think so. 

"I've taken all the calories out of this before I put it on the counter!"
This. This is a blatant lie. I know this, but I do appreciate the intent of the untruth. 

And I did indulge in all the yumminess at the party! Mmmmm!

"Knitting is boring."
Seriously? These are not the feet of boring people!

And boring people do not stay out until 8 o'clock at the party when they have to work the next day...riiiight?!? Right!

"Christmas shopping is a chore, and it's so difficult to find/make fun little gifties for my friends."
All I can do, as I gaze in wonder once again at this pile of goodies, is suggest that perhaps you should find better friends. I love to make stocking stuffers for my friends! These little gifts are always among the highlights of my Christmas season!

I wish you could have joined us at the CKW Knitters' Christmas Party! If you're local, you should think about joining us to knit on Thursday nights (here's a LINK to our Ravelry group). If not, I hope you find your group soon, so you can stop believing everything you hear on the Internet. Or from Old Wives! (wink!) 

Thanks for stopping by. Merry Christmas Season to you, and may all your knitting and crafting be done in time for gifting (if that's how you roll)! Mine is almost there...

Knit in Good Health!

*I know, I know. That should be nose...but there was something in my teeth, and my hostess could not see past it, so it is what it is.

3 comments:

  1. It's my favorite Christmas party of the season!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You stayed out till 8 o'clock on a WEEKNIGHT?!? You really are wild and crazy!

    ReplyDelete