Wednesday, October 29, 2014

You Don't Have Time?

Knitting is fun, knitting is good - 
If you've never tried knitting, well, I think you should!

Lately, I've seen lots of links to articles, like this one and this one, about the health and mental benefits of knitting. For those of you who keep sharing them on Facebook, thank you. Also, have you not been listening to me and my knitting friends? We've been telling you these things for years, as you have said things like, "I don't want to knit," or "I can't knit," or "I don't have the time to knit." To these latter things, I say, "Phthhhbt!"

You can check out the links to the articles, or not. Either way, this is why I knit:

Colors playing together for the sole purpose of making me happy. I like that.

The stitches:
Sometimes cables...

Sometimes lace...

Sometimes I really have to think about what I'm doing, and sometimes I don't have to think about anything at all...just yarn over needles and drawn through loops until I have something pretty!

Love:
Love for  sweethearts, for children, for grandchildren...all right there, in the tangible form of stitches working together to make something soft and lovely (or fun!). Also, the love of creating runs through my veins, and that love of making something from almost nothing just seems to calm my soul...it is magical! Even during the knitting, before I have a finished sweater, watching the stitches emerge from my needles is simply mesmerizing!

Most of all, knitting calms my mind, heart and soul. The simple repetition, the same as it would have been for my mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, etc., is meditative and helps to short circuit the worry I am so very prone to. After all, who can think about bills, or worry about health, or even fret about housework, when her hands and brain are busy creating beauty? Throw in a couple of very pretty buttons, and it's all good...

So, there you have it. This is why I knit. It's good for me! What are you doing that's good for you?

Thanks for stopping by, and Knit in Good Health (as soon as you have left your excuses behind)!

1 comment:

  1. There's nothing like having baby and mom or grandmom match in a handknit to declare love out loud and that sense of belonging that makes the whole world more whole.

    ReplyDelete